Dare we suggest Spring is here? The calendar says so, even if that last flurry of snow outside suggests otherwise. Time to cast off the shaggy animal hide of hibernation and contemplate new growth. We’re looking for somebody great to man our pride and joy – the wood-fired pizza oven – on friday and saturday evenings. It’s no easy thing to turn the functional care of one’s cherished offspring over to capable hands. But it’s time.
Table on Ten is a cafe in rural Bloomville NY. We work with local producers, offering a seasonal and experimental menu with strong week-to-week emphasis on great ingredients and what’s being harvested right here, right now. On weekend evenings we serve brick oven pizzas, with a full wine and beer list. The microshop carries local and specialty items, some of which are made in-house. We also host workshops, events, pop-up dinners and collaborations with guest chefs and occasionally cater events locally and in New York City.
It’s a small, close-knit, exciting, vibrant, creative environment. We work hard as a team, share responsibilities and have high standards.
We’re looking for a brick-oven pizza cook to work two evenings a week (Fridays and Saturdays, 5.30 to 9.30 pm. Responsibilities include:
• responsibility for operating the wood-fired brick-oven within the main serving area of Table on Ten.
• maintaining temperature and orderliness of the oven.
• baking pizzas quickly and efficiently in a high-turnover environment.
• exercising precise judgment as to temperature of the oven, as well as quality, cooking times, temperature and visual appearance of pizzas. Making adjustments in these areas as necessary.
• understanding and adhering strictly to Health Department and food handling guidelines.
• displaying professional, personable communication skills and appearance. The wood-oven is very much at the forefront of Table on Ten’s interface with the public, as it functions as the showpiece of the café, fully visible to customers. Some informal exchange with the public whilst baking is to be expected.
• working effectively as part of a team, taking full responsibility for managing the oven whilst being sensitive to the fluctuations of preparation and serving of the pizzas.
• ability to work in a close-knit team environment.
• ability to work calmly and effectively under pressure.
• must have problem solving abilities, be self-motivated and organized.
• commitment to quality service and food preparation.
• proven interest in food prepared with sustainably farmed, locally sourced ingredients.
• knowledge and understanding of safety, sanitation and food handling procedures.
• professional, personable communication skills.
• ability to take direction.
• must be able to work weekend evenings and holidays.
• must have own transport and housing.
+- 8 hours a week
Please send an introduction with contact details, resumé and any supporting information to firstname.lastname@example.org